- Guild President
- Antoine Leroy
- Vice President
- Prof Vaughan Jones FRS
- Vice President
- Nigel Harding
The International Guild of Knot Tyers (IGKT) is an association of people with interests in knots and knotting techniques of all kinds.
We have over a thousand members world-wide, from all walks of life, including academics, surgeons, sailors, sportsmen and women, scouters, magicians, farmers, miners and accountants. Membership is open to anyone interested in knotting (whether expert or simply hoping to learn from others).
What Does The IGKT Do?
We are an educational non-profit making organisation dedicated to furthering interest in practical, recreational and theoretical aspects of knotting. Our aim is to preserve traditional knotting techniques and promote the development of new techniques for new material and applications. We attend public events to advertise the Guild and its work, and conduct talks and demonstrations by arrangement with interested groups. We keep in touch with each other by correspondence, by holding regular meetings and exhibitions at both international and regional levels.
The Guild also publishes a quarterly newsletter, Knotting Matters.
Extract of the Objectives of the IGKT
- Promote research into all aspects of knotting
- Act as a primary source of reference and consultation
- Publish a periodical […] about knot crafts and related subjects
- Form and maintain a library of books, papers, films, photographs and other materials associated with knots. […] with a view to making information availabe to Members of the Guild and the general public
- Form collection of knots and knotting and work related crafts
- Promote and encourage knotting as an element in the education of children and young persons, and as a therapy for those who may benefit from such remedial activity
- Further promote the interest in knotting and associated activities, through its members, to the general public
IGKT Council of Trustees
Other Members with Specific Posts
A list of Guild trustees can also be found on the Charity Commission web site using our reference number – 802153.
The Executive Committee (which is a sub-committee responsible to the Trustees) is not the same as the Trustees and the current President cannot be a Trustee because he is not a UK resident. The Executive Committee carry out the day-to-day running of the Guild and the Trustees are the financial guardians, responsible to the Charity CommissionPlease address all written correspondence to:
The Secretary, IGKT
EX37 9SG UK